Thursday, 25 September 2008

Online Banking Woes

[15.17 Update: The home page can now be accessed. The reason I guess for the stuff up was that someone forgot to embed the certificate into the index page. The bank's strap line is now: Bigger, Brighter, Yellower... I guess the mood in ASB House during the three hours downtime this morning might have been a shade darker.]

Online banking in New Zealand is a joy. In fact banking period in New Zealand is a joy. To understand that statement you will probably realise that I spent 46 years in the UK. Same sector, different story.

Imagine my horror then when I tried to access my online account here first thing this morning. The web browser said simply:

'There is a problem with this website's security certificate'.

'The security certificate presented by this website was issued for a different website's address. Security certificate problems may indicate an attempt to fool you or intercept any data you send to the server'.

'We recommend that you close this webpage and do not continue to this website'.

It's now two hours later and I am getting the same browser message. Someone somewhere has stuffed up big time. With business and consumers now so reliant on online banking transactions, this is not a good look.

No comments: