Saturday, 23 February 2008

Saturday Sport


Sport is a fairly important part of my Saturday schedule. Apart from the odd round of golf or fishing trip though, today it is mainly of the 'couch-potato' variety.

When I was living in the UK, soccer and rugby took up most of my time. Watching Blackpool Football Club and Fylde Rugby Club were my favourite two 'live match' experiences. And then there was always Jeff Spelling on Sky Sports if I could not get to a live game.

In New Zealand, the focus is slightly different. Rugby here dominates the domestic sports schedule, although cricket does briefly show its face in the summer. Being based in Tauranga, my local rugby side is the Bay of Plenty Steamers and I do enjoy my trips to their home games at Baypark. Other than that, on TV, it is wall to wall Super 14, Tri-Nations and lots of repeats.

In New Zealand, virtual rugby is becoming a hugely popular past-time. I was introduced and then challenged to it by my young nephew Henry. Hosted by Telecom, Telecom Virtual Rugby currently has 140,000 registered players. Sad that we collectively are, we predict each week, the outcome of that week's Super 14 games. I expect that by tonight, my eight year old nephew will be well ahead of me points wise, because of my own rather erratic and basically stuffed up predictions.

And that's Saturday sport in New Zealand.

No comments: