Tuesday, 12 February 2008

Applying for NZ Citizenship



These are some of things I like:

Manx Kippers, mushy peas, Blackpool Football Club, centuries old pubs, the Barmy Army, warm beer, real pork scratchings, weetabix (not weetbix), Ryanair and Paris in under 3 hours.

So why would I want to download some forms from the Department of Internal Affairs website? Will my blood turn black? Will I forsake Twickenham for the shed called Eden Park? I think not. As the saying goes, 'you can take the boy out of England, but you cannot take England out of the boy'.

I have though now lived in New Zealand since 2003. Despite frequent business trips away and more to come, it is my intention to stay. So formalising that relationship seems to make perfect sense.

Apparently, it will usually take between five to eight months from the time I send in my form and documents to the time I will become an NZ citizen. (Subject of course to successful vetting and due process). This timeframe accounts for application processing, approval from the Minister and attending a ceremony. I like the last bit a lot. The warm beers will be on me.

1 comment:

G said...

Hang on a minute - kippers are MANX, not English :)