Tuesday, 12 February 2008

The New Year Resolution - Delayed


I know I should...

Each year, I make the same New Year resolution. And each year it fails. 2008 has been no exception. So it is time to re-visit.

The mirror does not lie and I know I need to start exercising more. So the prospect of gym membership raises its ugly head once again. It is not a prospect that particularly appeals. However an Underground advertising campaign I clocked back in London last month, might just change all that.

PruHealth, a leading UK medical insurance provider were offering to pay your gym membership if you signed up for a medical insurance policy costing between GBP20 - 40 per month. The basic concept is that fit customers cost less in insurance payouts. So it is a win-win for both customer, insurance company and of course the gym. I liked the concept.

The western world generally is getting fatter and the long term consequences for public health systems are potentially fairly dire. This PruHealth private medical insurance initiative seems to address a number of issues. Could it work in New Zealand?

I guess the answer lies in the depth of competition for private medical health dollars. There do not appear to be the range of providers here that one sees in the UK. But it is an initiative that could be encouraged by DHBs and other stakeholders in the health sector. Even for a marginally overweight and disinclined gym user such as myself, such an arrangement could tip the balance and a fitter and healthier lifestyle could be just about to start. I wonder whether Southern Cross are listening?

No comments: