Wednesday, 20 February 2008

Crossing the Chasm


In his book 'Crossing the Chasm', Geoffrey Moore makes the case that high-tech products require marketing strategies that differ from those in other industries. His chasm theory describes how high-tech products initially sell well, mainly to a technically literate customer base, but then hit a lull as marketing professionals try to cross the chasm to mainstream buyers. This pattern, says Moore, is unique to the high-tech industry.

It is a 'must read' for NZ ICT businesses wanting to engage with the global market.

I write about it now, because I have just extended my London trip next month for the UK Technology, Innovation and Growth Forum by a further 10 days. This has nothing to do with the UK weather.

I am going to be blunt. Being successful in the NZ market means little in London. That is down partly to business culture, but mainly to scale. The chasm is huge and so is the depth of competition, the need for resourcing and the availability of networks. Even though I only left the UK for NZ four years ago, I really am beginning to understand that chasm myself. So the need to extend my trip is real to assist consolidate our UK market entry strategy.

Developments in the past week will assist this process. More about this when I can.

No comments: