Monday, 13 August 2007

Bangalore Reflections from the Deck


- a dusk view of the Kaimai's taken from home deck -

That was some journey. I left Bangalore at 23.15 on Friday and arrived back home in Tauranga at 17.00 on Sunday. That's a lot of flight and transit time, but it gave me an opportunity to reflect on my 5 days in India. What were the three key memories?

1. The immense contribution, organisation and input of HBI Software. Once again, I brought a new major project to HBI and the management team immediately understood both its scope and its execution. That is a critical factor in the success of any offshored project - a complete confidence that the management team can deliver without the need for constant interference. With HBI, that confidence is total.

2. The energy and optimism of Bangalore itself once again inspired. This is a city where the focus on IT and innovation is entrenched. The confidence it, and much of India now generates, is contagious. Despite being much less well developed than NZ in many respects, there is a dynamism and optimism that I rarely find in much of New Zealand. Bangalore, once again, truly inspired.

3. The impact that coordinated 'long-term' Government and private sector planning has had at creating such a dynamic global IT cluster is clear. I will discuss this in more detail in future blogs since there are lessons I believe we can learn in NZ. What the success of Bangalore as an IT and BPO outsourcing destination demonstrates is that a long-term coordinated public - private sector strategy of infrastructure, investment and fiscal policy can work.

It is good to be back in Tauranga, but the memories I have brought back with me will continue to inspire as I face up to the inevitable challenges most of the ICT sector in NZ experience back home. Those challenges are real and collectively, they need to be met.

No comments: