Thursday, 9 August 2007

Accommodation in Bangalore


I am about to leave the office to check out a couple of Serviced Apartments for my next visit. It is something I should have done some time ago.

Room rates in Bangalore's main business hotels have sky-rocketed since I first came here in 2001. This morning, the truth was revealed. A study on the Hospitality sector by Indusview Advisors estimated that Bangalore has the world's highest room rents ranging upwards of $US500 a night. This compares with London's rate of US$300 - 450 and Rome's US$140 - 350 per night.

The hotel where I stay charges US$160 a night, plus taxes. No wonder the hot water did not work last night. These prices are not about quality. They are all about supply and demand.

Fortunately, a number of serviced apartments are now being built. Coming in at closer to US$100 per night, they appear to be well situated and well built. I hope the days of ludicrous Bangalore hotel bills are now to become a thing of the past. The next two hours will decide that.

No comments: