Thursday, 6 September 2007

IPod Upgrade Still No Substitute


The latest version of the IPod music player, just announced by Steve Jobs, is 8mm thick, comes with a 3.5in colour screen, built in WiFi internet access and Apple’s Safari internet browser. It looks like the iPhone, but without the phone part.

For the first time, users are now able to buy tracks from iTunes, Apple’s online media store, directly to the iPod without having to use a separate computer. An 8GB version will cost approx NZ$600, a 16GB version, (enough to hold 4,000 music tracks) $NZ720. So will I buy one?

Probably not. I actually like to 'feel' my music. That's why I use a CD Walkman player when I am on the move. Better still, I really like Vinyl. Each scratch holds a memory. My collection of later 50's / early 60's vinyl might have gathered some dust, but listening to the original Righteous Brothers, 'You've lost that loving feeling' sounds better than anything the 'oh so cute' IPod can reproduce.

I really admire great technology, but I truly love great music.

No comments: