Wednesday, 26 September 2007

All Pain, No Gain...


For one hour this morning, normal life will be suspended.

I will be reminded of my own mortality. I woke up this morning to the news that scores of people fled from Mt Ruapehu in central North Island, NZ after an eruption shook the volcano at about 8.20pm last night. I know exactly how they felt.

Sadly, I will not be in a position to flee this morning. Instead, I will be flat out whilst a masked figure probes my mouth with an array of threatening gadgets. And after numbing my gums, the terrible drill will spring to life. All the time, the hideous figure in the mask will be asking inane questions to keep me awake. And I will nod and gag like an idiotic, slightly deranged doll.

And then it will be over. I will be free. Free to walk away. Free to blog, social network and breath once more. Normal life will be restored.

No comments: