Monday, 29 June 2009

Tauranga - The Week Ahead


It's amazing how the in tray piles up when you are away from the office. I am currently working my way through correspondence of all sorts. This is not unimportant.

On Wednesday, I am traveling to Wellington for the NZ SharePoint Users Conference. Before then, there are a stack of engagements I need to set up around NZ. That's part of the joy of offshore market visits. They set up a whole new set of files and folders. Hong Kong already has its own set of drop-downs in place.

Several stories have surfaced whilst I was away. One very positive one is the news that Sparkbox founders Andrew Duff and Henry Tait are fundraising for a new $50 million venture capital fund to invest in early stage New Zealand technology companies. It has received a $20 million funding commitment from the New Zealand Venture Investment Fund.

The fund is called the '2 Ignite' fund and it will apparently target technology-based investments in areas such as information and communications, the medical and bio-tech sector, and the Internet.

Last year, I spoke to Greg Sitters of Sparkbox and he identified a hole in current NZ capital markets for emerging technology companies. I very much hope that 2 Ignite is one way to begin to address and fill that hole.

No comments: