Wednesday, 28 May 2008

The Working Day


According to the OECD, New Zealanders work some of the longest working hours in the developed world. I think I understand.

One of the major downsides of our geography is the dreaded word 'timezones'.

Typically, my 'working day' starts at 6.30am with a download of the overnight email. With partners in both the UK and India, much of the offshore work occurs at night. With the current 11 hour time difference between NZ and the UK, it also means I can call up business colleagues before it gets too late - so calls normally go through by 8.00 - 9.00pm UK time.

Then it's time for coffee and the New Zealand working day begins.

It's normally at about 5.00pm in the evening when HBI Software in Bangalore comes on line as the India working day starts. So a new set of email and Skype kicks in at that point. By 8.00pm in the evening, the UK is back online and I normally try and close things off by 10.30pm.

Today is no exception. This morning it was a 6.00am start and shortly I leave for Auckland. 6 hours driving and 3 meetings with the last slated in for 4.30pm means that I will get back in Tauranga for about 10.00pm. Lovely! And then it's time to catch up. Those OECD figures might just be right.

No comments: