Friday, 16 May 2008

India Calling


Kamal Nath

Next Thursday, the Indian Minister of Commerce, Kamal Nath, is visiting New Zealand with a business delegation of around 25 companies.

I am expecting to meet up with both the Minister and three of the business delegation companies in Auckland during the visit.

One of the key focuses of my discussions will be based on potential JV and outsourcing work for HBI Software Pvt Limited. Another key discussion area will be around the potential exploitation of IP owned by The WH Consultancy Limited in the Indian sub-continent. So why post on this detail?

The recent signing of the NZ-China Free Trade Agreement has perhaps deflected some attention from the growing economic importance of the Indian economy in the global space. Nowhere is this more true that in some of the high technology sectors of ICT, bio and nano. Although many NZ businesses seem to be aware of the potential, few in my experience choose to engage. How different from my UK experience.

India offers huge opportunities to NZ companies. Next Thursday's visit reflects this and it is an opportunity I am happy to take up. I hope a number of others do too.

No comments: