Thursday, 25 October 2007

Microsoft DirectioNZ 2007


I am attending the Microsoft DirectioNZ 2007 event today in Tauranga.

It's a slightly surreal feeling. Although Pingar and Strategy Analysis have worked closely with Microsoft for a long time now, this is (I think) only the second actual Microsoft event I have been to in the four year's I have been in NZ. I have attended a couple in the UK on return visits though. So what do I expect?

Good question. I have blogged before over the differences I have seen in the Microsoft - Partner relationship over the past few years. I would hope to see this reflected in today's presentation.

I remember well a pre-launch Microsoft CRM event near Heathrow five years ago. Perhaps a couple of hundred partners had been invited, with maybe 50% being directly engaged in CRM-based technology innovation. I remember well as the colour drained from the faces of many as they realised that Microsoft's beta core CRM application targeted their own niche development activities. The Microsoft mantra of the day was that Partners could build revenues by supporting the new Microsoft CRM platform. There was no mention of the devastating impact on existing Partner revenues, development and business plan strategies. Have things changed? I believe the answer is yes.

My advise to any partner attending today is to sit down with their Microsoft account manager and work through any Microsoft-focused activity business plan together. Try and remove any doubt about Microsoft's future intentions. They are now far better at publishing their longer-term road maps. This is the key to improve that Microsoft - Partner relationship. 'Remove the Fear'. Today's meeting should be interesting.

No comments: