Friday, 26 October 2007

Microsoft DirectioNZ 2007 - The Aftermath

As blogged yesterday, I attended the Microsoft DirectioNZ 2007 workshop here in Tauranga yesterday.

The key presenter was Microsoft Evangalist, Carlos Miguel Martinez. Carlos basically took the audience through Microsoft's core infrastructure and business application roadmap for the next 12 - 18 months. At the half way stage, I had actually thought of leaving. The first part of the presentation had focused on the technical aspects of different server platforms - core infrastructure. That's too techie for me.

I decided to stay and I am very glad I did. The focus of the second session was much more on business applications, particularly on Communications. The session made me think. As Pingar begins to roll out to the UK and the US, with existing offices in NZ and Bangalore, I realised that this was one aspect of the roll-out that had not been totally documented. Carlos demonstrated new features in Microsoft Exchange Server 2007 and Microsoft Sharepoint Server 2007 which really can benefit the technical infrastructure and comms between the various offices.

The Aftermath starts today with a requirements and technical specification document being drafted to define Pingar's global technical comms strategy. Then will come its implemenation.

No comments: