Sunday, 30 March 2008

A London Weekend


Watching Blackpool draw 0-0 at Crystal Palace might not be everyone's idea of a great Saturday out. Time to get a life then. Mixing with the Tangerines at dodgy pubs along Selhurst High Street is as good as it gets. Warm beer, Walkers crisps and a list of characters straight from Eastenders. If this is Gordon Brown's test of 'Britishness', then I passed.

The day started with a nostalgic trip to Borough Market. Sadly, the nostalgia has gone. Too many 'celebrity chefs' have identified this once great foodie hangout and the crowds yesterday were hideous. It even has its own website. It has become a commercial tourist destination. Sad really.

Today, I am planning to meet up with a group of friends from my West Hampstead days. The destination is the Churchill Arms, South Ken. To those that know this particular group of friends, the outcome of the day is I think fairly obvious. I will sleep well tonight.

And that is my weekend in London.

No comments: