Tuesday, 10 April 2007

Thinking Global

Tauranga Chamber of Commerce recently hosted a 'Grow with Attitude' one-day conference for approximately 100 Bay of Plenty companies at Baycourt in Tauranga.

I had been asked to give a 30-minute presentation and decided to title it, 'Creating an SME Roadmap for Global Growth'. At the time, the title had special meaning. I had flown in from Singapore at 4.00am that morning where I had been establishing contacts for a possible joint venture of my own in that region.

Being a recent immigrant from Britain, I am still adjusting to my NZ location. Unlike many local peers, I have an overseas network or several networks. At present, my goal is to establish one in NZ.

The key message I tried to convey at the conference was that in order to prepare a business for global expansion, that business had to start thinking globally. I used my own business as an example. I said in these terms - 'My business is a global business that happens to be based in Tauranga. I am not a Tauranga business thinking of going global'.

The difference in perception is significant. If one takes the view that your business is a 'global business', then you start looking at issues from a global perspective. This includes resourcing, the supply chain, raising capital, acquiring skills etc. It opens up your vision and creates opportunity.

If you think of yourself as being a 'Tauranga business thinking of going global' then the mind focuses on the negatives. Distance to market, access to capital to fund the expansion, time-zones, competitive pressures etc. It creates a negative mental environment. In such cases, the NZ appetite for the 3Bs usually kicks in.

NZ is failing to create truly global businesses. The reading of recent OECD reports about NZ's engagement with the global economy make depressing reading. NZ has the creative and innovative ability to make its mark on the global economy. I just feel at present amongst many so-called business owners and senior managers, it has neither the passion nor the desire to do so.

1 comment:

Unknown said...

Hi Peter,

Interesting views from you. I am based in Malaysia and interested to collaborate between Malaysian IT networks with NZ to pursue for the Middle East market especially Saudi Arabia.

Would love if we can communicate via email at radzi62@gmail.com

Regards,
Radzi