Sunday, 19 July 2009

NZ Postgrad Internship Initiative

I received an email yesterday from Shane at The Foundation for Research, Science and Technology (FRST). FRST is piloting a postgraduate internships initiative programme to support 150 science, technology and engineering postgraduates. They will provide a significant contribution to the postgraduate’s starting salary, for a maximum period of six months.

FRST aims to take postgraduates from the top 20 per cent of postgraduate courses and place them with some of New Zealand’s best and brightest research and innovation companies. That's the nuts of the email.

A few weeks ago, I spoke at a Technology NZ event here in Tauranga. I commented on the 'missing access links' between the University sector and private industry. This then is exactly the sort of initiative that I applaud.

Back in March 2003, I gave evidence to the House of Lords Science & Technology Select Committee on 'Science & The RDAs'. I spoke then of the lack of access points for UK SME's to the University sector. Six years on and the problem still exists.

In NZ, FRST has launched an initiative that will help bridge that gap. Hat doffed accordingly.

No comments: