Thursday, 23 July 2009

Mainland Recession

I have just returned from two days in Christchurch. It was only my second visit to South Island's biggest city since my arrival here six years ago.

Christchurch itself is a lovely City, but for the first time in a long time, I became aware of 'recession' in NZ. And the sources were impeccable. The 'economists' were the taxi driver, the bar owner and the fact that 40 staff had just been laid off by a local supermarket. (I thought they were supposed to be doing well in this climate).

Christchurch's CBD at lunchtime was quiet. A number of eating places were either empty, closed or in receivership. Not that the last bit is very public. They still trade but Saturday is the only big night in town. The bar manager had time to talk though. Jacqui and I were the only people there. And he shouted lunch!

The taxi driver also had time to talk. There aren't as many fares right now. People are using buses instead.

I'm not sure however if it is a Christchurch-thing. Maybe I need to pay more attention in Tauranga. I guess you just get set in your ways and miss the things that visitors see. To me, there are green shoots sprouting all over the Bay. Tomorrow, I will remove my glasses and start taking a closer look.

No comments: