Saturday, 29 November 2008

Mumbai Thoughts

John and I arrived back from Auckland last night. 'On the road' effectively for the past three days, I had only been vaguely aware of the unfolding tragedy in Mumbai. Watching BBC World this morning, I am now beginning to understood the true extent and impact of the terrorist attacks.

I guess what makes this episode more tangible is that I have stayed at the Taj Mahal Hotel on two previous occasions. I remember well the amazing interior and the sheer luxury of the place. Together with the hugely attentive staff. This is in every respect one of the world's 'Great Hotels'. A couple of blocks down the seafront is the Oberoi Hotel, scene of another of the terrorist assaults. I know it well. I remember the ground floor reception area and lounge that leads to the main terrace. Many a Kingfisher was consumed there.

Today, my thoughts are with HBI Software in Bangalore. Bangalore is a two hour flight from Mumbai, but one thing it shares in common with Mumbai is a heavy concentration of American and British citizens. This is not called IT City for nothing.

India is perhaps the world's greatest democracy. I am constantly amazed how a country with so many religious and regional identities has developed and thrived. It is my sincere hope that the events of the past 72 hours are a one-off incident and not a harbinger of things to come. India deserves better.

No comments: