Monday, 3 November 2008

Cyber Squatting

There is a loan company in New Zealand that owns a domain name which relies on users misspelling one of NZ's major media outlet's URL. I will neither name the loan company, nor the site, because I do not want to encourage traffic to it.

The loan company's website does say however on its home page - 'You came here because you need finance......'

Not quite. I arrived there because some idiot decided to engage in a cheap form of guerrilla marketing. That tactic says a lot about the company and I guess even more about the product.

I find cyber squatting offensive. It feels almost as though the perpetrators are invading my private space. I don't know the return they get, but after 12 years in this business, I still find some aspects downright cheap. Unlike the loans I so desperately do not need, I suspect.

No comments: