Thursday, 23 October 2008

Post No 515.

I am back from my self-imposed blogging exile.

I suspended ‘normal service’ three weeks ago due to a number of imminent Pingar announcements. I guess the role was not unlike that of a publicly quoted company going into silent mode immediately prior to a reporting season. The reasons were not too dissimilar. It is difficult to blog transparently when all around you significant events are happening.

The key developments effecting Pingar have now either occurred or are in the process of rolling out. So it’s back to business and back to providing some insight into the issues I face, day to day, in managing an NZ-based business in a global world.

Of course, since my last blog just three weeks ago, that world has undergone something of a facelift – perhaps ‘facedrop’ is a better description. Allan Bollard has just announced a full 1% cut in the OCR and the NZD has bounced back against the USD. The British Pound has tanked and equity markets have headed south. That’s the type of world we now live in.

How will Pingar manage against this global backdrop? Well I guess some of the subsequent posts will demonstrate how we have been actively working on this scenario for some months now. I think you could say that we saw it coming. And I hope some of our actions might provide some thought for others.

So that’s the end of Post 515. It’s good to be back. Let normal service resume.

No comments: