Tuesday, 26 August 2008

Mrs T & the P45

Further reflections overnight on Carol Thatcher’s revelations published on Sunday.

Back in May 1979, Margaret Thatcher became the first woman British Prime Minister. At the time, I was heavily involved in politics and on the night of the election was holed up in the Tory Party HQ in Smith Square.

I spent the evening with Andrew Rowe and Chris Gent. Andrew was to become a successful MP. Chris was to become the fantastically successful CEO of Vodafone, building it up from being a UK to a global Telco giant. I somehow ended up here.

We had a small TV in our office. On the BBC, David Dimbleby was commentating at about 2.30am. He was talking about Mrs T’s recent arrival at Smith Square and how she was thanking party workers. At that moment, the office door swung open and Mrs T entered. We had been celebrating victory for some time, so after some Moet I had decided that sitting on the floor was better, and probably safer, than standing. Andrew & Chris stood up. I couldn’t.

For a moment, our eyes met and locked. I got the ‘look’. At that moment, I knew post-election, it was time to start looking for a ‘real’ job.

No comments: